The Paw Press

The Student News Site of Dripping Springs High School

The Paw Press

The Paw Press

Megan Aldridge: Third Chair Treble Choir in the TMEA competition

The Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) has been committed to providing equal education to students pursuing music since 1920. This audition is the one thing standing between students and the All-State choir which is composed of the best voices in Texas. The process of auditions starts with performing pre-selected pieces of music behind a black curtain, then cite reading notes chosen by the judges and then it’s the waiting game. If selected as a third chair (third place) or above in a sectioned choir then you will be boosted to All-State. TMEA is not just for the choir though, band and orchestra also compete.

Junior choir student Megan Aldridge won third chair at the TMEA auditions. Her commitment to the treble choir since sixth grade has put her in many competitions over the years, but this was the first year Aldridge won big. 

“I’ve been in music my whole life, it’s always been my favorite class,” Aldridge said.

Aldridge works with Courtney Aguilar and Tom Gabrielsen, one of the program’s many astounding vocal coaches almost every day of the week. She thoroughly committed herself to her music this year and it paid off.

“I could never have done it without Gabe [Gabreilsen] and Aguilar and all of the people who helped me,” Aldridge said.

The auditions were hosted at Reagan High School located in San Antonio. Students spent the day performing their pieces and sight-reading the provided bars. Aldridge performed certain sections from three pieces that increased in difficulty. One of the pieces included German phrases that had to be translated and then learned by heart. Coming out of the high school, the treble choir gathered around head choir director Aguilar and waited for the results. Aldridge made third chair treble choir, and sixth chair overall.

“I did cry a little bit,” Aldridge said. “I was in shock, I did not think I was gonna make it because it’s a really exclusive thing and really special if you get to make it.”

Aldridge will spend the next month rehearsing with her voice coaches and preparing mentally for the big All-State audition. This could mean a spot in one of the Texas All-State treble ensembles. The All-State winners in choir, band, and orchestra from all regions will perform together to the public this February.