The Paw Press

The Student News Site of Dripping Springs High School

The Paw Press

The Paw Press

Total Solar Eclipse over Dripping Springs

Bea Furlow
Total solar eclipse occurring in Dripping Springs.

For three minutes and sixteen seconds on April 8, Dripping Springs is gifted with prime seating for a total solar eclipse, an occurrence that can only happen when the sun, moon and Earth are in a straight line. Dripping Springs will be in a ‘celestial splash zone’ along NASA’s map of where the once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event can be best seen. In a Town Hall meeting, the City of Dripping Springs predicted that there would be three to four times our normal population to be in the city to watch or travel through. 

Specially-made solar eclipse glasses are essential for safely viewing the eclipse. The surface of the sun is so bright that staring at it, even if some parts are obscured, produces enough light to damage individual retinal cells. The specialized eyewear is very different from a normal pair of sunglasses, and sunglasses should not be used to view the eclipse. Solar eclipse glasses are around one thousand times darker than regular sunglasses and will deter lasting damage to your eyes if used correctly. Do not use binoculars, telescopes, or any other viewing means to watch the eclipse if they do not have a specialized lens. DSISD students will receive free solar eclipse glasses, donated by the Dripping Springs library. 

A total solar eclipse can only happen when the moon passes directly in between the Earth and the sun, casting a shadow on the Earth. The central path of the moon’s shadow is called the line of totality, and in these areas, the sky will grow dark for a short time, as if it were dawn or dusk. Dripping Springs is in the line of totality, and as such, will get to witness the sky darken as well as be able to see the corona, or the outer ring, of the sun. A total solar eclipse is the only type of solar eclipse in which viewers can momentarily remove protective eyewear (and only when the sun is completely blocked by the moon). 

To celebrate this rare event, the City of Dripping Springs is hosting a ‘sunBLOCK’ eclipse-watching party on Mercer Street. The party will feature live music from local students and entertainers, food vendors and trucks, and vendors. The event will be on April 8, the date of the eclipse, from 10 am to 6 pm.