The Paw Press

The Student News Site of Dripping Springs High School

The Paw Press

The Paw Press

Thinking Outside the Blackbox: Unveiling the Mystery of ‘Clue’

Evie Dalton
Cast of ‘Clue’ gathered in the main set.

Thespians and mystery lovers alike are in for a treat as Dripping Springs High School gears up for its latest production, ‘Clue.’

‘Clue’ is a versatile and beloved story – a play, a musical, a movie, a book series, and, of course, a board game. The narrative revolves around a murder mystery party, where a group of influential individuals find themselves entangled in a web of blackmail and intrigue.

What truly sets this production of ‘Clue’ apart is its setting. The theater department is taking a bold step for this play, opting for a black box performance, providing a unique and intimate experience for the audience.

“We’re taking a show, and more specifically, a set that really demands a proscenium stage, a large venue, and we’re condensing it into our black box stage,” theater director Coy Branscum said. “This creates an interesting opportunity for Mr. Baxter and myself to explore the ways in which we redefine what the script calls for, so we’re still telling an effective story, while honoring the space that we’re in, and using it to the best of its ability.”

The tech crew faced unique challenges in designing a complicated set within the confines of the black box. 

“‘Clue’ is a complicated show for us to design in such a small space, the black box, because it has a lot of different rooms, and a lot of moving components to it,” Freshman member of the technical theatre department Ethan Gardner said. “[In order to achieve this, we’ve built] little rotating platforms that give the essence of switching rooms, and running back and forth between them, while the main set is the hallway.” 

Aside from just stage design, the black box demands adjustments in every aspect of the production, including the performers’ acting styles.

“[Black box acting] is a lot more intimate with the audience,” Junior Eben Sebastian said. “Like, someone could probably get up in the front row and slap me, if they wanted to. I could probably feel their breathing. You could look someone directly in the eyes and have a moment with them that breaks the fourth wall, which can’t happen in a big, proscenium play.”

The cast all represent unique and interesting characters, and are embracing the opportunity to explore new styles of performing through their roles.

“I play Wadsworth, the butler,” Sebastian said. “He’s supposed to be a very posh, charming butler that always abides by the rules and follows his masters’ orders. But, then his life gets threatened and he starts trying to level with the other characters in the show to try and find the murderer. He’s very real… He often starts freaking out and losing his mind, and at the beginning he’s kind of pretentious, which is fun to play.”

Senior Kailey Nutt takes the spotlight as the captivating Mrs. Scarlett. With an intriguing mix of intellect and allure, she embraces the role of this temptress with enthusiasm.

“I play Mrs. Scarlett,” Nutt said. “My favorite thing about her is that she’s a femme fatale, and she uses her power as a woman to piece things together. She’s a very interesting character to play, because her physicality is really fun. She’s a very smart, strong, and independent woman.”

For senior A.J. Bergeron, the role of Mr. Green in ‘Clue’ presents a unique opportunity and a refreshing change of pace.

“He is under suspicion for being a disloyal Republican who has been feeding blackmail for quite a while,” Bergeron said. “Mr. Green is a fun, kind of clumsy character. I haven’t played a comedic role in quite a while, so this challenge has been quite fun.”

This return to black box performances comes as the theater department goes through a significant transition this year, having appointed a new theater director, Mr. Branscum, who has implemented several changes.  

“Theatre has definitely taken a 180 since our new director has some different policies,” Junior Evie Grimm said. “It is open to the entire school, and advanced theatre is no longer exclusive. Every show you are able to audition for, no matter your role or your grade level. This is our first black box show in two years. I’d say that we’re focusing more on the fun of theatre this year, and we’ve also grown in numbers. Within the thespian club, we have around 100 members, and about 1/3 of them are freshman. We’ve just been having a really good time.”

Overall, this performance of ‘Clue’ is bound to be a lively and unforgettable one. 

“‘Clue’ is an evening of the most wonderful kind of nostalgia,” Branscum said. “It is everything that you love about the game or the movie, depending on how you were introduced to these characters. They are exactly the characters that you were hoping to see come to life in front of you, and my hope is that people will walk away from this production feeling a sense of warmth that reminds them of their childhood…You’re getting all of the nostalgia from the game and the movie, and you’re adding another element of seeing your friends, family, and loved ones participate in the mystery. And I think that’s reason enough [to come see the show], don’t miss out on the mystery.”