The Paw Press

The Student News Site of Dripping Springs High School

The Paw Press

The Paw Press

Consumerism during Christmastime

Evie Dalton
Christmas decorations between A and B hall.

As Christmas has approached, the rush for last-minute gift shopping intensifies, fueled by the excitement of fast fashion, sales and trends, particularly during the consumer frenzy of Black Friday. However, this increase in consumption has significant effects on the environment during the holiday season. While gift-giving is often viewed as a generous expression of affection, its collective impact on the environment is undeniable, and by taking more environmentally conscious decisions, this can be subsided.

Brightlyeco.com reports that the average American produces 5 pounds of daily trash, escalating to a staggering 6.25 pounds during the holiday season, contributing to an alarming 2,887,500,000 additional pounds of trash in the United States during Christmas alone. Holiday-related waste includes 2.3 million pounds of wrapping paper and energy-intensive Christmas lights, exacerbating environmental challenges. Adopting sustainable practices during this festive period can help mitigate these issues, allowing for celebration without compromising ecological responsibility.

The United States Department of Energy recommends the use of LED lights in decorations to significantly reduce energy consumption and lower one’s carbon footprint. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, LED lights consume up to 80% less energy and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional incandescent bulbs, making them a more environmentally responsible choice for holiday lighting.

In addition to energy-efficient lighting, promoting sustainable gift-giving practices is essential. Encouraging the exchange of experiences or handmade gifts, supporting local businesses and using reusable or recycled materials for gift wrapping are all more “green” decisions that can be made. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emphasizes the importance of waste reduction during the holiday season and provides resources on sustainable gift-wrapping alternatives. By adopting these habits, individuals contribute to fostering a more sustainable and environmentally friendly Christmas celebration.

Instead of succumbing to the consumerist allure of Black Friday sales, opting for thoughtful, meaningful gifts or experiences, such as a shared movie or dinner, enhances both appreciation and the eco-friendly nature of the holiday season. Prioritizing quality over quantity in gift-giving creates a more sustainable approach to holiday celebrations, guiding the planet in a positive direction.